Do You Need Conservatorship or Power of Attorney?

Book An Initial Call Now
POSTED ON: May 6, 2024

DO YOU NEED CONSERVATORSHIP OR POWER OF ATTORNEY? There’s a long list of celebrities involved with conservatorship matters, although the thirteen-year conservatorship of Brittany Spears may have gotten the biggest headlines. A recent Paso Robles Daily News article, “Conservatorship or power of attorney? The answer it: it depends,” explains the difference.

A conservatorship occurs when a court appoints a person, the conservator, to oversee decision-making for another person. A conservatee is a person who has been deemed unable to make decisions for themselves or to care for themselves. Different states have different names for this process; in some states, it’s known as guardianship, and the appointed person is the guardian, with the person under their care known as their ward.

There are several different forms of conservatorship. They include:

  • Of the estate, where the conservator has full authority over the person’s finances. The person may retain their physical autonomy but cannot access finances. Trusts are not included in this arrangement.
  • Of the person, if the person has been found unable to make decisions about their life and physical health, including medical care but not medication for psychiatric care.
  • Some states have specific conservatorships/guardianships designed to provide care by a conservator/guardian for people with mental health disorders.

A Power of Attorney gives one person many of the same abilities as a conservator, minus the involvement and required reporting to the court. The person who executes the POA must be legally able to do so; they cannot be incapacitated. The POA is useful for someone who is undergoing surgery, for instance, and knows they will be incapacitated in the future for a certain amount of time but wishes to have someone else take care of their affairs.

Similarly, an Advanced Health Care Directive (AHCD) gives another person the authority to make medical decisions on behalf of another person. Like a POA, the AHCD doesn’t require going to court to be executed.

Planning ahead and creating a Power of Attorney, Advanced Health Care Directive (sometimes referred to as a Power of Health Care Attorney), and other estate planning documents is how a responsible person ensures that their family is ready if something unexpected occurs. This estate planning attorney in West Virgina can create these documents as part of your estate plan.

Schedule your phone meeting: THE LAW OFFICES OF CLAUDE S. SMITH, III


Reference: Paso Robles Daily News (March 12, 2024) “Conservatorship or power of attorney? The answer it: it depends”

Let Us Help You Through This

Reach Out Now

What Sets Us Apart
We understand this process can be difficult. We ease you through it with your best interest in mind.

Legal problems are extremely stressful, especially when your family, your health, or your freedom are at stake. At this point in time, you may not even be sure what kinds of questions you need to ask a lawyer, but that’s entirely normal. Whether your situation involves family law, estate planning, elder law, a criminal charge, or a personal injury, we will start by giving you all the information you need.

The way we see it, you deserve to get this information directly from an expert. That’s why we make it easy for you to get in touch with your lawyer, and we never ask you to sit down with a paralegal or assistant instead.

As our relationship continues, we will keep you updated about the status of your case every step of the way. Your lawyer will reach out regularly to tell you about any new developments, and he will also be happy to answer any questions you have throughout the process.

Join Our eNewsletter

Stay informed and updated by subscribing to our eNewsletter!
Subscribe Now!
Law Offices of Claude S. Smith, III

805 Bigley Avenue
Charleston, WV 25302

Get Directions
Integrity Marketing Solutions - Estate Planning Marketing
Powered by